Hey, you like key lime? You like grapefruit? You like pie? Cool, cause that's pretty specific and lucky you, I just made the following pie.
This is a very light, tart pie that's perfect for summer. If you don't have key limes (or don't want to try and juice a bunch of tiny limes because it's kind of time consuming buuuuuut also kind of relaxing?) you can use good 'ol regular limes. Adapted from this Smitten Kitchen recipe.
For Graham Cracker Crust
1 1/2 cups of finely ground graham crackers
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 pinches salt
7 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp grated lime zest
1/2 tbsp grapefruit zest
3 large egg yolks
1 14oz can sweetened, condensed milk
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice
For Whipped Topping
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2-3 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In medium bowl, combine graham crackers, sugar and salt. Add butter, stir til combined and crumbs are coated. Pour mixture into a 9" pie dish and press into the bottom and up the sides. Use the bottom of a measuring cup or glass and press into graham crackers crust to ensure the crumbs of firmly packed. Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat zest and egg yolks until pale in color and thick in consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweetened, condensed milk and beat another 3 minutes until thick. Add lime and grapefruit juice, beat until combined.
- Pour mixture into graham crust and bake for anther 10 minutes until set. Let cool completely.
- For whipped topping: in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip on med-high speed heavy whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks are reached. Top pie with whipped cream and chill for about 2 hours.
- Eat up!