Yes, I'm very aware these cookies were not spaced out well enough. I knew the baking sheet was too small but I was far too lazy to grab the bigger one and move the cookies. So, the result is what you see above. Nevertheless, these cookies were pretty bomb and gluten-free! Did I mention I haven't had gluten in over a month? It's a new thing I've been trying out for reasons you don't need to know about, but I will say my stomach and bowel have never felt better!
Onward, to cookies to be enjoyed by gluten and non gluten-eating people! I used this recipe from this great blog My Gluten-Free Kitchen and made minor changes. I added cinnamon and used almond milk instead of milk milk (I don't have cow milk on hand- I can't drink that shit). I also added sprinkles for festivity and because I'm fun.
Makes about two dozen cookies and can easily be cut in half if you really don't want that many. I don't know what you want but, honestly, you should just go for it and make the full batch. F*cking live a little.
2 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend (I've been using this Bob's Red Mill GF blend)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon (I really love cinnamon and might actually have a problem)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 oz. cream cheese (fun fact: my local grocery store sells exactly 2 oz. portions of cream cheese for the woman on the go who just wants a small amount for her bagel)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 tablespoon almond milk (or milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
more sugar/cinnamon/sprinkles for rolling dough balls in later
- Whisk flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place 1 1/2 cups sugar and cream cheese in large bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave and pour over sugar and cream cheese. Whisk until well combined and there are zero cream cheese lumps ("cream cheese lumps" sounds real gross). Whisk in oil then add egg, milk, vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture with a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes.
- While dough is chilling in the fridge, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix about 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkles. Set aside.
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough about 2 tablespoons in size.
- Roll dough balls in cinnamon sugar sprinkle mixture and place on lined baking sheet.
- LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE AND LEAVE 2+ INCHES BETWEEN COOKIES ON COOKIE SHEET. Otherwise, you'll get a cookie mosaic which isn't the worst but not ideal.
- Use the bottom of a glass or your palm and flatten the dough balls until they're a 2 inch diameter disc.
- Bake 11-13 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
- Forget to tell anyone you made these and eat them all.