Hi, hello, happy June!
This is less of a recipe, more of a ‘this can be done and you should do so promptly.’ I first learned of this at a lady gathering at my aunt’s house. There was lots of talk of age spots and droopy cheeks, but also of the coconut cream which one of her friends had brought to scoop onto berries (what I was most focused on). The recipe used was that of oh she glows. It’s a perfect dairy-less alternative to traditional whipped cream and is just subtly sweet.
1 16 oz can of full fat coconut milk (without guar gum listed as an ingredient)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp powdered sugar
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk overnight, so that it is completely solid.
- Flip the can upside down and drain off any liquid that has separated from the solid milk. (I’ve used both Thai Kitchen and the Trader Joe’s coconut cream and haven’t had any liquid separate, but it happens with some brands.)
- Scoop cream into a deep bowl and whip with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 20-30 seconds.
- Add in vanilla extract and sweetener to taste and whip for a couple extra seconds.
- Scoop onto cake/brownies/fruit/a spoon and enjoy!
*Note: if you refrigerate the whipped cream overnight, it’ll harden a bit and you may need to re-whip it, but don’t fear, it’ll resume it’s beautiful fluffy shape in no time.