I feel like I stepped off of a time machine when I exited the plane after our flight home from Maui on Wednesday night. I entered the contraption on the island at noon with sun and birds all around me, stepping off several hours of awkward sleep later to darkness and the familiar smell of Seattle’s Fall.
I’m certainly not complaining, though, because now the two worlds are colliding in the form of pumpkin and macadamia nuts, a slight tan and scarves, a serious cleanse and just-as-serious binge watching of Sister Wives.
Pumpkin Macadamia Pancakes – adapted from this recipe
Recipe makes about 6 pancakes
-1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
-2 tablespoons of light or dark brown sugar
-2 teaspoons of baking powder
-1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
-2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1 cup milk (I used soy milk)
-6 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
-2 tablespoons of melted butter
-about 1/2 cup of toasted macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
1. Mix dry ingredients (except the nuts) in one bowl, and wet ingredients in another.
2. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, sprinkling a small handful of the macadamias into the batter.
3. Grease your pan with butter or coconut oil.
4. Scoop about 1/4 a cup of batter for each pancake and cook about 3 minutes over medium heat, per side.
5. I don’t love maple syrup on pancakes, so I just put a little bit of coconut oil on top of mine and sprinkled them with nuts.
6. Return to your bed to continue your show marathon – I mean – begin your day!