All last week I was in San Francisco and then LA. I got to see a handful of friends who have ditched Washington and also family! I’m actively trying to invent some way to grow a fig tree on my deck to feed my new addiction. This is all thanks to my cousin Monica and her delicious, delicious fig tree that spoiled me for 4 days. On our way out one morning, my mom and I stopped at a Whole Foods to scavenge for breakfast. This was in order to fend off impending hanger that could have the potential to ruin any kind of positive vibe that we had going. We grabbed an eggless egg salad that my mom insisted on. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it, but it was quite good! So here’s my Whole Foods-esque attempt at eggless egg salad. It’s a great, lighter alternative to old fashioned egg-full salad.
Almost Eggless Egg Salad
- 1 pound extra firm tofu (I used Trader Joe’s organic sprouted tofu)
- 1 tablespoon mayo (or veganaise if you want to go all the way eggless)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- S & P to taste
- In a medium bowl, smash tofu with a fork until it is an egg-like consistency.
- Mix in mayo and mustard thoroughly, then celery, onion and spices.
- Serve with crackers or a green salad or a spoon or your finger.