Golden beets, quinoa, arugula and goat cheese are a match made in summery heaven! I keep looking at these photos, wishing we hadn’t eaten it all. I guess that means this recipe is a keeper. Anyway, let’s not beet around the bush (sorry… I just couldn’t let that opportunity slip away). To the kitchen!
Beet Roasting 101
This is totally easy. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut off the greens and put aside to use in another dish. Cut off and throw away the squiggly tail on the opposite end of the beets. “Toss” the beets in olive oil (This is what the instructions I was using said to do. I don’t know if you’ve ever “tossed” whole beets in oil, but it’s, like, not something you should attempt.) Do what you gotta do to get the beets coated. Roast for about an hour and a half. They are done when you can jab them easily with a knife.
Let them cool, then peel off the skin. Voila!
Golden Beet + Quinoa Salad
Makes 2-3 servings
- About 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 or 3 roasted, chopped beets
- 1 cup (packed) arugula
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- While beets are roasting, cook the quinoa. I cooked mine in broth, which adds a nice flavor.
- Once the beets are cooled and chopped and the quinoa has mellowed out, toss em together with a cup (packed) of arugula.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss again.
- Generously sprinkle with goat cheese.
- S+P to taste.