Whoa. It’s been a full year since Hilary last posted and well over a year since I last posted. And that’s all I have to say on this matter. Let’s get to this cake!
Cornmeal. Ricotta. Strawberry. Blackberry. Blueberry. Cake. Delicious and adapted from this King Arthur recipe.
You will need:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups fresh berries – I used a mixture of strawberries (cut into chunks), blueberries and blackberries
- powdered sugar for dusting
You will need to:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8″ cake pan with butter. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease that as well. Dust with flour (tap out excess flour).
- Sift or whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed til light and fluffy, a couple minutes. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Add ricotta and zests and beat for about 1 more minute. Stir in flour mixture until just combined (don’t over mix! jeeze).
- Fold in berries.
- Pour batter into cake pan and smooth top. Bake until toothpick inserted come out clean. About 45-60 minutes.
- Cool in cake pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack and let cool completely. Cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar and eat up. Super cool.
Oh, hi guys. Hilary here. Reporting live from my living room, watching Shark Week, actively planning how to avoid open waters for the rest of my life. I’m also feeling pretty happy with myself for having just made raspberry mules. Also, vodka. Good vodka from Batch 206, which happens to be a baseball-player’s-stone’s-throw away from the futon on which I sit.
I just spent five minutes trying to figure out if ‘simplest’ is really, truly a word and you’ll be happy to know that it is! Anywho, I’ve been house sitting for my parents this weekend, and one of the benefits of doing this (aside from getting to steal household items such as toilet paper and loose leaf tea — I literally have a list on a post-it right now) is getting to raid the refrigerator and use things I normally don’t have in my own kitchen.
Fun fact: I haven’t turned my laptop on in about two months (until now). Crazy how we can do life with just smart handheld devices these days, isn’t it? I’m surprised little creatures didn’t crawl out from under the keys of my keyboard when I fired it up just now. Another fun fact: This was supposed to be a buffalo cauliflower recipe! ‘Twas not meant to be. I just wouldn’t have been able to sleep tonight had I labeled it as such. That’s a lie; I can always sleep. While it isn’t buffalo-y, it IS smokey, spicy, tangy and I’ll certainly make it again as a quick and simple side dish in the future. Continue reading
I have no comment on how long it’s been since I’ve contributed… so let’s get to this mulled apple cider! Not only is mulling cider easy, it also makes your home smell amazing and it’s just cozy. Add a little whiskey to your cup and voila, party cider.